For Area Youth Friday Evening Music Club encourages students who study with FEMC members to perform on the recital series. FEMC also offers a $1,000 scholarship competition each year for any high school senior from Westmoreland or Fayette County who plans to major in music at an accredited college or university.
Mildred A. Gardner Scholarship Award Competition - Guidelines
* Open to any current high school senior who resides in either Westmoreland or Fayette Counties and who will be a music major at an accredited college in the Fall of 2018.
* For the preliminary audition, contestants should submit the online below, as well as a digital recording of two pieces in contrasting styles which exhibit their technical and musical abilities (Please EMAIL these recordings directly to Ed Kuhn - firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Alternatively, applicants may print an mail the audition form (pdf above) and send a CD or tape with their two recordings.
* Those chosen as finalists may elect to perform the same or different selections at the live audition. Performance time should not exceed 12 minutes. Due to time constraints, selections may not
be heard in their entirety.
* Contestants will be judged according to technique, rhythmic accuracy, intonation (not for piano), musicality, tone production and performance skills.
* Memorization is required where it is common practice to use it (piano, voice).
* As needed, applicants must provide their own accompanist. Finalists are strongly encouraged to use professional accompanists.
* The winner will be invited to perform at a future Friday Evening Music Club Recital.
* Contestants are asked to submit a $20 application fee to cover administrative costs.
Award Prize: $1,000
For more information about the Friday Evening Music Club Scholarship Competition, contact Edward Kuhn, Jr. at 724-834-5001 or email email@example.com